The best college quotes offer words of wisdom on the importance of learning along with a bit of humor about the whole college experience.
1. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
This is an interesting quote because we typically think of savings accounts, stocks, and bonds when we consider investments. However, education and self-improvement bring great dividends when it comes to quality of life. From a more practical standpoint, statistically, a degree also adds thousands of dollars to your potential lifetime earnings.
2. "The things taught in schools and colleges are not an education, but the means to an education." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
More important than any specific facts you may memorize at college is the development of a thirst for knowledge and the skills necessary to learn more in the future.
3. "The aim of the college, for the individual student, is to eliminate the need in his life for the college; the task is to help him become a self-educating man." - George Horace Lorime
This quote espouses a similar idea to the previous entry. One of the greatest skills a student can take away from college is the problem solving ability and the love of learning.
4. "No man should escape our universities without knowing how little he knows." - J. Robert Oppenheimer
From the limitless reaches of space to the complex workings of the human body, there is so much still to be discovered. It would be a sad state, indeed, if people left college thinking they knew everything.
5. "A mind is a fire to be kindled, not a vessel to be filled." - Plutarch
Many students discover their true passions while at college, leading to a fulfilling job. What subjects kindle a fire in you?
6. "I have never let schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Every aspect of college is a learning experience, as the best college quotes often demonstrate. Meeting people from diverse backgrounds, participating in extracurricular activities, negotiating with your roommate, and learning how to balance a social life with academics can be just as educational as any lecture. You'll remember these lessons long after you've forgotten the quadratic equation.
7. "To those of you who received honors, awards and distinctions, I say well done. And to the C students, I say you, too, may one day be president of the United States." - George W. Bush
While excellent grades and scholastic achievements are certainly worthy of praise, it's important to remember that they can't always predict future success.
8. Third Law of Applied Terror - 80% of the final exam will be based on the one lecture you missed and the one book you didn't read. – Unknown
This best college quote pokes fun at the stress of exams and finals week. Unfortunately, most students will be able to relate to this helpless feeling.
9. "Teenagers go to college to be with their boyfriends and girlfriends; they go because they can't think of anything else to do; they go because their parents want them to and sometimes because their parents don't want them to; they go to find themselves, o
This is one of the best college quotes because it can really make a student think about his or her motivation for pursuing an education. No matter which category they fit in, hopefully all students will find great value in the college experience.
10. "Uh, you've reached Stewie and Brian, we're not here right now, uh and if this is mom, uh send money because we're college students and we need money for books...and highlighters...and.... ramen noodles...and condoms, for sexual relations with our classma
While this is certainly one of the less serious quotes included on the list, it's memorable because it encapsulates the basic stereotypes of the college student.