When looking for the best digital cameras, it's important to balance price considerations with the need for quality, durability and advanced photographic features. There is a selection of affordable digital cameras that are suited for both beginning and advanced photographers. Decide what features you need in a camera and then carefully compare the features for each one before making a decision.
1. Cannon ELPH 100 HS
- This 12.1 megapixel camera has a 4x optical zoom.
- This lightweight and affordable camera doesn't have many bells and whistles, - it simply takes a great photo. The wide LCD screen on the back will help catch the perfect shot every time.
2. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TXP
- Ths12 megapixel camera comes with 4x optical zoom and adjustable shooting modes.
- One of the lightest digital cameras around, the Sony Cyber-shot can be set to a number of different shooting modes, from low light to panoramic 3D. The camera is also equipped with 1080i HD video recording.
3. Nikon Coolpix S91000
- This 12 megapixel camera has 18x optical zoom and in-camera editing capabilities.
- The Nikon Coolpix S91000 has enough special features to keep advanced photographers happy but an easy enough interface that even novice photographers can walk away with a good shot. The macro mode lets you get crystal clear close-ups. The D-Light editing feature lets you instantly increase contrast on dark and grainy shots.
4. Cannon Powershot SX230 HS
- This 12.1 megapixel camera has a 14x optical zoom and image stabilization feature.
- This simple to use zoom camera eases the bane of every photographer - a shaky hand. The optical image stabilization feature helps you turn out clearer images while the zoom lens allows you to master both close-ups and panoramic image techniques.
5. Olympus XZ-1
- If you're looking for a 10 megapixel camera, this one has a 4x optical zoom.
- Olympus has a reputation for high end cameras, but this powerful compact camera is geared squarely at the point and shoot crowd.
- Its optical viewfinder, hotshoe flash and fast lens make for highly focused images.
- It is especially good in dim lighting, something less expensive cameras can't always pull off.
6. Panasonic Lumix FZ1000
- This 14 megapixel camera has a 24x optical zoom and a 3-inch LCD.
- The superzoom capabilities of this camera make you equally at home taking photos at your next birthday party or on a wildlife expedition.
- Image quality holds at all levels of zoom, and the large, tilting LCD lens makes getting the perfect shot a breeze.
- This camera also comes equipped with 1080i video capabilities.
7. Olympus PEN E-PL2
- This is a 12.3 megapixel mirrorless camera.
- Enjoy the ease of a compact digital camera with the power of a D-SLR.
- The interchangeable lenses mean you get shots that are comparable to many D-SLR cameras on the market.
- Thanks to the absence of a mirror, this camera is much less bulky than its D-SLR counterparts.
- Great for on-the-go amateur photo enthusiasts.
8. Nikon D3100
- This 14.2 megapixel D-SLR camera is an entry level D-SLR camera.
- It's perfect for anyone looking to dip their toes into more advanced, interchangeable lens photography.
- The interface and design is easy for first time D-SLR users to navigate.
- The image quality is comparable to that of more expensive cameras.
9. Pentax K-5
- This 16.3 megapixel D-SLR camera is suitable for amateurs and professionals alike.
- Image stabilization and rapid fire continuous shooting
- This camera has 1080p HD video capabilities.
- It's weatherproof, making it an ideal choice for nature photographers.
10. Canon EOS 5D Mk. II
- A 21.1 megapixel professional level D-SLR camera for serious amateurs and professional photographers.
- The 21.1 megapixel CMOS sensor is great, but what really sets this camera apart is its video capabilities.
- The camera shoots full HD clips, using interchangeable lenses, in 1920 x 1080 resolution. This feature makes all of your other cameras, not to mention your video camera, obsolete.