So many people through the years have had great things to say about love, so it's difficult to pick the best love sayings, but here are some that have stood the test of time and still send hearts a fluttering to this day.
1. "Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind."
Of course it would be impossible to have a list of the best love sayings without at least one from the Bard. This one is great because of its truth. Even now we still say "love is blind," only not so poetically! For more words of wisdom from this famous playwright, find even more Shakespeare love quotes online.
2. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning
While actually a poem rather than a saying in itself, this quote is well known on its own and speaks of the hugeness of love. It's one of the best love sayings because it is so commonly quoted on valentines and love cards.
3. "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud..."
This passage from 1 Corinthians is probably one of the most famous passages from the Bible and is a common reading at weddings. It tells the about-to-be-married couple that they need to remember to act from love in their new marriage, but it's a good lesson for others as well.
5. "Love doesn't sit there like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all of the time, made new."
-Ursula K. LeGuin
Who says science fiction and fantasy authors don't have anything to say about real life? This quote reminds us that you have to work at love. Try this saying when you want to make up with a loved one.
6. "He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began."
Who knew the old Russian novelist was such a romantic? This love saying rings true in the heart of anyone who has lost himself in the love of another person.
7. "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired."
A simple but true statement from the great American poet. This is one of the best love sayings because it reminds us of what we are all looking for.
8. "True love is a discipline in which each divines the secret self of the other and refuses to believe in the mere daily self."
-William Butler Yeats
Another way of saying Shakespeare's "love is blind," or that we only see what we believe when we are in love. Isn't it true that we all see beyond the everyday when we're in love?
9. "At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet."
We still remember this ancient philosopher because though the years have passed, people have not changed all that much. Although, some probably think he should have said, "At the touch of love, everyone becomes a bad poet."
10. "All you need is love."
Is there any truer statement about love that could ever be said? Some may not know that the song was written for an international broadcast with the idea that its message could be understood globally. Decades later, we still see the truth of this beautiful song and statement, making it one of the best love sayings.